Jonas Lembcke Andersen
For the past years I have been working with optimizing the growth and reproduction of insects in a semi-industrial setting. Both through, optimizing temperature and relative humidity as well as specialized diets and artificial selection. I have substantial laboratory experience and interests in physiology with ample experimental expertise in planning, problem solving, execution and data analysis. I have experience in animal surgery and blood flow measurements using flow probes and pressure transducers along with great knowledge about MRI from my Masters project. I have a lot of experience working under a stereo microscope with high precision, from my PhD where I worked with the fruit fly in regards to the physiology underlying cold tolerance.
- Since September 2018: Working as a specialist at Technological Institute in Aarhus, at the Section for Protein- and Insect-technology in Life Science.
- December 2016 – September 2018: Working as a consultant at Technological Institute in Aarhus, at the Section for Water and Environment in Life Science.
- January 2016 – February 2016: Scientific assistant internship at Center of Functionally Integrative Neuroscience, Aarhus University, developing new experimental set-ups and learning about OCT and two-photon microscopy.
- August 2015 – December 2015: Scientific assistant at Zoophysiology, Aarhus University, w/ Johannes Overgaard, collecting a heart rate in several mutants of Drosophila melanogaster.
- May-June 2015: Scientific assistant at Zoophysiology, Aarhus University, w/ Johannes Overgaard, setting up for- and collecting a specific cold tolerance trait for several mutants of Drosophila melanogaster.
- September 2011-November 2014: Teaching students of biology and molecular biology, theoretical- and laboratory exercises
- April 2011-January 2015: Volunteering in a committee, planning events for people in science and engineering (w/ IDA)
- 2011 – 2015: Teaching assistant for various visiting classes/transition programs
- June 2010: Field work, observing migrating birds using radar with the NERI Denmark
- October 2007-August 2009: IT support at the department of Molecular Biology at Aarhus University
ACADEMIC TRAINING AND DISSERTATIONS
- April 2015 (PhD dissertation): Chill susceptible insects: Physiological mechanisms and ecological correlates of cold tolerance
- May 2012-April 2015: PhD-student at Zoophysiology, Aarhus University
- November 2011 (Masters dissertation); Use of Non-invasive MRI to Study the Cardiovascular Responses to Digestion in Snakes
- July 2008-November 2011: Masters in biology at Aarhus University
- August 2005-July 2008: Bachelor in biology at Aarhus University
SCHOLARSHIPS, GRANTS AND AWARDS
- Knud Højgaards Foundation; 10.000 DKK, attendance of APS Comparative physiology meeting 2014
- APS Travel grant award; 300 USD for attendance of APS Comparative physiology meeting 2014
- Certificate of Excellence for oral presentation at ISEPEP5, Canada, 2013 (100 CAD prize).
- COB Travel grant; 435 GBP for attendance of ISEPEP5, Canada, 2013.
- The Irene Manton Poster Prize in animal section at SEB meeting, Valencia, 2013 (100 GBP prize).
- SEB Travel grant; 95 GBP for attendance of SEB meeting, Valencia, 2013.
- SEB Travel grant; 100 GBP for attendance of SEB meeting, Salzburg, 2012.
- 1/3 PhD salary from Graduate School of Science and Technology, Aarhus University, Aarhus 2012.
- SEB Travel grant; 110 GBP for attendance of SEB meeting, Glasgow, 2011.
- SEB Travel grant; 70 GBP for attendance of SEB meeting, Prague, 2010.
- Knud Højgaards Foundation; 8000 DKK, for travel and laboratory expenses during project work in Australia (2009).
- Experimental research; planning, problem solving, execution and data analysis.
- Physiological measurements; quantifying cold tolerance, ion measurements in locusts, resting membrane potential, heart rate and Malpighian tubule flow rate in Drosophila.
- Imaging techniques; High understanding and practical experience with MRI, high understanding and modest hands on experience in OCT and two-photon microscopy.
- Microsurgery; Extracting and setting up intact Malpighian tubules of various Drosophila species for flow rate measurements. Measuring flight muscle resting membrane potential in Drosophila.
- IT; Video and image analysis for data collection, R and Graphpad Prism for statistical analysis and visual presentation, above average knowledge on Microsoft Office and Adobe CS and Acrobat Pro.
- HA MacMillan, JL Andersen, SA Davies, J Overgaard. The capacity to maintain ion and water homeostasis underlies interspecific variation in Drosophila cold tolerance. Scientific Reports Scientific Reports 5: 18607.
- JL Andersen, HA MacMillan, J Overgaard (2015). Muscle membrane potential and insect chill coma. The Journal of experimental biology, 218, 2492-2495.
- JL Andersen, HA MacMillan, J Overgaard (2015). Temperate Drosophila preserve cardiac function at low temperature. Journal of insect physiology 77, 26-32.
- HA MacMillan, JL Andersen, V Loeschcke, J Overgaard (2015). Sodium distribution predicts the chill tolerance of Drosophila melanogaster raised in different thermal conditions. American Physiological Society 308 (10), R823-R831.
- JL Andersen, T Manenti, JG Sørensen, HA MacMillan, V Loeschcke, J Overgaard (2015). How to assess Drosophila cold tolerance: chill coma temperature and lower lethal temperature are the best predictors of cold distribution limits. Functional Ecology 29 (1), 55-65.
- JL Andersen, A Findsen, J Overgaard (2013). Feeding impairs chill coma recovery in the migratory locust (Locusta migratoria). Journal of insect physiology 59 (10), 1041-1048.
- A Findsen, JL Andersen, S Calderon, J Overgaard (2013). Rapid cold hardening improves recovery of ion homeostasis and chill coma recovery in the migratory locust Locusta migratoria. The Journal of experimental biology 216 (9), 1630-1637
- J Overgaard, JL Andersen, A Findsen, PBM Pedersen, K Hansen, K Ozolina, T Wang (2012). Aerobic scope and cardiovascular oxygen transport is not compromised at high temperatures in the toad Rhinella marina. The Journal of Experimental Biology 215 (20), 3519-3526
- H Lauridsen, K Hansen, T Wang, P Agger, JL Andersen, PS Knudsen, AS Rasmussen, L Uhrenholt, M Pedersen (2011) Inside Out: Modern Imaging Techniques to Reveal Animal Anatomy. PLoS ONE 6(3): e17879. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0017879
- AJ Baisner, JL Andersen, A Findsen, SWY Granath, KØ Madsen, M Desholm (2010), Minimizing Collision Risk Between Migrating Raptors and Marine Wind Farms: Development of a Spatial Planning Tool. Environmental Management46:801-808.
PEER REVIEW FOR JOURNALS
- Journal of Comparative Physiology B
- Journal of Entomology
- Entomologia Experimentalis et Applicata
PREVIOUS RESEARCH PROJECTS
- May 2012: The Role of Water and Ion Homeostasis in Insect Cold Tolerance, Department of Zoophysiology, Institute of Bioscience, Aarhus University, Denmark.
- July 2010-November 2011; Master thesis: Use of Non-invasive MRI to Study the Cardiovascular Responses to Digestion in Snakes, Department of Zoophysiology, Institute of Bioscience, Aarhus University, Denmark and MR Research Centre, Skejby University Hospital, Aarhus University, Denmark.
- August 2009; Collection of data for 4 month biological project on intertidal fiddler crabs with Dr. Robbie Wilson at Wilson-White Lab, University of Queensland, Australia.
- April 2009-June 2009; Data collection and publication preparation in collaboration with Mark Desholm, Department of Wildlife Ecology and Biodiversity, National Environmental Research Institute (NERI), Aarhus University, Aarhus.
- ISESPEP6 Meeting, Aarhus, Denmark (2015); Oral presentation, Muscle membrane potential and insect chill coma.
- APS Comparative physiology meeting San Diego, USA, 2014: Presentation of poster; The potential to resist chill coma: How temperature affects flight muscle resting membrane potential and heart rate in drosophilids.
- ISEPEP5 Meeting, London, Ontario, Canada (2013); Oral Presentation; Evaluation of different measures of Drosophila cold resistance (award).
- Annual SEB Meeting, Valencia (2013): Presentation of Poster; Many kinds of cold: Evaluation of different measures of insect cold resistance (award).
- Annual SEB Meeting, Salzburg (2012): Presentation of Poster; Impaired chill tolerance in digesting migratory locust (Locusta migratoria)
- Annual SEB Meeting, Glasgow (2011): Presentation of Poster; Go With the Flow; Using non-invasive MRI to quantify blood-flow to visceral organs in postprandial yellow anaconda (Eunectes notaeus)
- Annual SEB Meeting, Prague (2010): Presentation of Poster; Fighting in the field: Costs and consequences of bearing enlarged weapons in males of the yellow-clawed fiddler crab (Uca perplexa)